Ingrams: A Brief History
Re-typed from, The Herald Special Centenary Issue, Monday October 15th 1934
INGRAM Bros. PTY. LTD. Jewellers, Watch and Clock Makers
Champion house- (1st and 3rd floors) 57 Swanston St., Melb. C.1.
Much of the history of Victoria has been written in Horological work by Ingram Bros. Pty. Ltd., who since their advent in 1890 have progressively expanded till today they enjoy probably the foremost position in this field, and viewed together with their extensive diamond trading – their history is probably the most romantic of its kind. Along with this growth in general, has come an interesting and almost exclusive development of the manufacture of Electric Tower Clocks and large clock installations.
Their workshops are without parallel in Victoria, probably throughout Australia, as they are practically the only manufacturers of this equipment.
In 1926 the firm was further expanded by its translation into a Proprietary Limited Company, notable additions to the staff being Mr. H. Bright, as Managing Director, and Mr. R. M. Bright as Works Manager.
With these executives the firm’s repertoire has been broadened till today there is no time system known in the world which the firm cannot handle.
One interesting field presents itself to the public, namely that of Tower Clocks, and in this branch of industry, Ingram Bros. have so demonstrated their ability that it is not now necessary for Architects and public bodies to go overseas for their equipment.
Consider such installations as Pyramid Hill, Ararat Town Hall, Bright Soldiers’ Memorial, Perth University, Catani Memorial Clock Tower, St. Kilda; McDonald Memorial Tower, Kerang; Grimwade House, St. Kilda; Dandenong Town Hall, and their latest achievement, the striking clock in the tower of the T. & G. Building, Geelong, which is the only clock of its kind in Australia – and at once, the splendid record is demonstrated.
There is another very important field in which the abilities of the firm are astonishing; that of synchronized clock installations in large buildings.
Such buildings as: _ The Shell Building, Myer’s Emporium, State Electricity Commission, A.M.P., Herald Office, C.T.A., State Savings Bank, Commonwealth Note Printing Offices, Foy and Gibson’s, Barnet Glass T. and G. Insurance Co., and numerous others best express this. Again they have the honour to have built and erected two of the largest Drum Clocks in Australia, those which adorn the mighty Myer Emporium.
When all these facts are considered in their real perspective one cannot fail to realise that they really express a well earned reputation for integrity and ability which commands the respect of all who are privileged to contract with them.
Ingrams Newspaper Articles